Pearl barley, pea and asparagus risotto
( Serves 2)
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- Barley 180 grams/ml
- Asparagus 128 grams/ml
- 100 grams/ml
- Onion 100 grams/ml
- Garlic 5 grams/ml
- Olive oil 35 grams/ml
- Breadcrumbs 50 grams/ml
- Lemon 80 grams/ml
- Yeast 15 grams/ml
- Get any pan, as long as it has some depth to it.
- splash in half the olive oil, then finely chop the onion and add it.
- Sweat it slowly for 5 minutes, you do not want to colour the onion.
- Add the garlic and cook for another couple minutes.
- Pour the pearl barley in and stir around for another minute.
- Tip in your veg stock of 500ml and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, bring it down to a simmer, until the pearl. barley is done.
- Meanwhile, get your asparagus in a tray and roll them around in a little bit of oil, salt and pepper.
- Cook them on a high temp, 180 plus, for about 5 minutes (or when they start to colour ).
- When the pearl barley looks nearly cooked add your peas.
- In a separate pan, pour the rest of the olive oil in a frying pan at a hot temperature. Chuck in the breadcrumbs and brown (it won't take long).
- The pearl barley should be done now so add your asparagus, half a lemon and a tbs of nutritional yeast and mix.
- Season and serve. Add the breadcrumbs on top with another squeeze of lemon.
- 128 grams of asparagus= about 8 spears